Wood Carinthian Competence Center»wood kplus«
wood kplus is a centre of competence divided between Upper Austria, Vienna and Carinthia. Two universities participate: the University of Natural Resources and Life Science in Vienna and the Johannes Kepler University Linz. In each of the four centres (Lenzing, Tulln, Linz, St. Veit an der Glan) different research questions are pursued.
As a non-university research centre, it is industry- and application-oriented. In Carinthia W3C stands for Wood Carinthian Competence Center.
To manipulate renewable materials in such a way that their functionality is changed and increased. Developing composites for coating, glues and surfaces. Developing new methods, materials and processes. Data analysis and spectral analysis.
W3C’s Key Research Areas
Five teams work on different challenges related to the production and manipulation of natural composites.
- Wood composites coating
- Powder coating
- Pressing resin
- Processing fine fibres of all types
- Measuring and analysing the process flow
- Developing efficient process models
Infrastructure - Laboratory
- Spectroscopy (FTIR, NIR, UV-Vis)
- IR microscopy
- Thermoanalytics (DSC, TGA, TMA)
- Paper analysis (paper smoothness tester Bekk) Porosity tester (Gerley)
- DOMAS scanner systems
- Contact angle measurement/tensiometer Atmospheric pressure plasma system
Founding year: 2006
Location: St. Veit an der Glan
BABEG's share: 26 percent